The new release of the SAP ABAP Application Server 7.40 has been available for roughly 6 months ... the release is packed with new features which are optimized for nowadays business challenges.
This YouTube video explains the new features in a 'nutshell':
- Powered by the in-memory database SAP HANA for fast, optimized 'online transactional processing' (OLTP) and 'online analytical processing' (OLAP)
- Support for real-time analytics due to the above database
- REST & OData support via SAP Gateway
- SAPUI5 for HTML5 web optimized UI's
- various ABAP (OO) language enhancements with tight integration with SAP HANA and a new development environment - Eclipse studio
This really brings the ABAP stack up to speed for the new mobile-driven enterprise and brings together 2 development environments in 1 platform - the 'old school' ABAP development and the new SAP HANA XS development.
The integration of ABAP/4 development within Eclipse means that from now on a complete development project which uses the latest technologies (like SAPUI5 & OData services) can be done from within one development environment.
You can also find more information in the following presentation on SDN.